- Friendsmas: We hold a potluck of appetizers for dinner at our house for a small group of friends with an inappropriate gift exchange!! You read that right. We do this once a year beginning of December and then are too busy for each other all year. Man do we laugh lots when we see each other! Even just meeting a friend or two for lunch can be nice.
- Singing Christmas Tree: This is a charity event full of dancing and music. It’s really amazing to experience the 35 foot tall Christmas tree made of 150 choir members. 2019 is the 50th and LAST time this event will be held. There are 5 shows between December 19 and 22nd. I have tickets to go twice and just might go more!!! I can’t wait!
- Book times in my calendar to do festive things like look at lights, watch Christmas movies (Have you seen any of the 55 Best Christmas Movies on Rotten Tomato’s list? If you haven’t seen National Lampoons Christmas Vacation in a while, it’s a good one to watch again!). Cherry on top of this? Bake some Christmas cookies with the movies on in the background!
- Breathe! Some scents I enjoy around the holidays are gingerbread cookie, apple spice and balsam.
- Focus on someone outside of myself. I am going to do my regular charity work, spend some time with friends and my awesome brother-in-law and his lovely wife and I will set myself up for the new year by setting new goals, practicing a ton of self care and giving myself a lot of grace.
Will it be easy to make all these plans and follow through? Will I stop missing my family and the moments we shared when I was a kid? Absolutely not. But I will give myself permission to feel those feelings. They are allowed! I am allowed to miss people and traditions and more.
Are you excited for the season? Are you ready for it? Or are you like me, going into this month mixed with a little dread?
What are your traditions? How are you going to make Christmas amazing?